Wednesday, 5 June 2013

Happy World Environment Day!

Today was 'World Environment Day!' I bet you didn't know and neither did I until this year - lets just say it's not quite as famous as Christmas. It is an annual event by UNEP (United Nations Environment Programme) which is aimed at widening peoples knowledge on our environment today. This years theme (2013) was 'Think. Eat. Save.' This is to do with reducing the size of your carbon footprint by chucking away less waste (especially food) however perhaps more importantly, thinking before you buy about how much waste things will produce and if you could minimize it before it is a problem. Today I bought 1 bottle of water and a packet of tomatoes. Yes I agree with you if you're thinking I must be pretty weird! I'm feeling pretty guilty right now as before I bought them I didn't check the label to see what will happen once I'm done with the food. However I checked afterwards and the water bottle can be put in my local plastic recycling bin, while the tomatoes  which were packaged in a plastic tray with a plastic wrapper, are not so lucky. The tray can be recycled however I'm not too sure about the plastic wrapper on top. Oh dear.... Did you know that it is World Environment Day/WED today? If you didn't check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment